Monday, May 19, 2014

Expectations - How good is good enough?

How do you know if you are "good enough" or if you are "meeting expectations"? 

It is funny how many schools grade the students' performance (whether it is academic or behavior) with the scale "approaching expectations|meeting expectations|exceeding expectations". Whose expectations are these actually based upon? The principle's? Teachers'? Parents'? Or the students' themselves? And how do you decide and come up with these so called "expectations"? 

I’m sure many of you have that one friend that says he/she is going to fail and end up being the top student/getting a really high score. I’m that friend. Before you get all judgmental and decide to stop reading, let me at least have the chance to defend myself.

I have this habit of setting very high expectations for myself, sometimes even unattainably so. Some may say that it is a very bad habit and in doing so I will just bring down my morale and disappoint myself when I am unable to reach these goals. But as they say, “Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you’ll fall among the stars”. Although this is something I practice since young, I will not encourage everyone to take on this (you can say) “way of life” because at times it can be really discouraging and may cause one to feel like giving up.


That being said, I've yet to explain why I practice this cruel way of motivating myself. I do this because I find that it is easier to try and meet my own expectations rather than someone else’s. If I set my expectation to be higher than anyone will have of me then I will disappoint myself more than others.

Higher expectations = Greater disappointment

I really hate disappointing people around me. You can call me selfish but I cannot stand other people looking at me with the expression that screams “I’m sorry you couldn’t do better”. So rather than having to see that on others, I rather face the mirror and see my own disappointment. (I mean this way if I want to avoid that look, all I need to do is to avoid the mirror).

This is why I am that friend, because I feel that if I say that I will do badly then I will lower other’s expectations of me. This means, people will have a lower disappointment in the event that I am unable to reach their expectations.

By now some of you might already be hating me and thinking that I am a horrible person. I do not disagree with that. I know these people are not the nicest people to be around especially if you are feeling bad after a paper/work and you know that they will do fine when the results come. But being one of “these people”, I can tell you that we do what we do because we are insecure and we don’t really believe in our abilities. You may hate us but believe me when I say this, because when we do not meet our own expectations we hate ourselves more than anyone else can hate us.

So next time before you tell off that friend for being insensitive and telling him/her that he/she will do fine, know that you are actually increasing the stress and pressure of an already insecure person. By telling us that we will do okay, you have shown that your expectation of us is higher than what we have for ourselves and now we feel the need to live up to that expectation.

I cannot say I’m speaking for everyone that is labelled “that friend” because I most certainly am not, some people might have their own reasons for doing what they did, what I’m saying is that please don’t look at us in such negative light, we are not aiming to put you down, we are putting ourselves down.


Back to the question, so how good is good enough? Well to me, being good enough is when I can meet my own expectations. Your expectations are what you think you should reach and you know yourself the best, so if you are able to reach what you think you should, isn't that enough? I mean of course, you can always strive to do better than enough but if we are talking about being good enough, then I guess that's what it is.